Experienced and versatile journalist, able to research and write clearly and elegantly about complex topics on deadline.
Los Angeles Times, metro reporter June 2010 – Sept 2016
- Covered regional government, national and international issues, breaking news, projects and features.
- Was part of a team covering corruption in the city of Bell, which won the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service and part of Pulitzer-finalist breaking news team covering the 2014 Isla Vista shooting rampage.
- Completed data-intensive projects on municipal government, including an analysis of voting patterns and a searchable public database of legal expenditures for all 88 cities in Los Angeles County.
Desert Dispatch, reporter and photographer March 2008 – June 2009
- While producing multiple daily stories on deadline, reported and wrote enterprise pieces on substandard housing and children growing up with meth-addicted parents.
- Shot and edited photos and video to accompany stories.
Molalla Pioneer, reporter and photographer Oct. 2006 – Feb. 2008
- Produced a mix of beat reporting and enterprise stories.
- Helped launch the paper’s first news blog.
Back to Back Cafe, co-owner May 2004 – June 2006
- Managed all aspects of a small restaurant business in Portland, OR.
Master of Arts: Journalism 2010
Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism Evanston, IL
- Recipient of 2010 Harrington Award for reporting, the highest award given to Medill graduate students.
- Covered city politics in Chicago and immigration policy and Congress in Washington.
Bachelor of Arts: Political Science 2004
Reed College Portland, OR
- Completed a senior thesis on social movements in Brazil and the then-proposed Free Trade Area of the Americas, with field research in Sao Paulo.
Associate of Arts: Fine Arts 2000
Pima Community College Tucson, AZ
Communications coordinator Oct 2016 – Dec 2016
Relief and Reconciliation for Syria
- Managed internal and external communications and social media for a small NGO working with Syrian refugees in northern Lebanon.
- Implemented programs including French and English classes for youth and outreach to refugee families for school enrollment.
Computer assisted reporting Intermediate level Spanish proficiency
Video and photo editing Speak and read Levantine Arabic